This Governance Service course is targeted at new and recently appointed or elected governors and trustees. It is a 'safe' environment to ask questions and learn about the role of governance in achieving successful outcomes for children. It also offers governors and trustees the opportunity for self-assessment and to learn from and share experiences.
This course aims to give you, as a newly appointed governor/trustee (including headteachers, staff governors and associate members), a level of knowledge of governance that you need to effectively support your school in raising standards. It provides:
- An overview of school governance, your role as a governor, the responsibilities and expectations placed on you, and the way in which you should work with the headteacher and school leadership team
- Knowledge and understanding of governors’ responsibilities
- A briefing on national and local educational issues and their impact on governing boards
- Processes to assist you in using your new skills and knowledge for the benefit of pupils.
- An opportunity to meet and exchange views with other recently appointed governors, with discussion and group work in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
Governors; Trustees; Head Teachers; Associate Governors